Since finishing a nationwide tour as an opening act with The Artist Prince in 2001, and designing for him personally, I set up my own shop in Atlanta designing album covers/promo materials for record labels and many artists directly. I eventually decided to make the transition into Design full time.
I have spent the last 17 years giving brands a Feel, a Tone, and a Face. Regardless of project size or specifications, my quality and style still applies to all the major components: Social Media Campaigns, Advertising, Print, Websites, Logo, overall Visual Creation. Recently I’ve been focusing on Creative Digital Campaigns. Some pieces I created received many accolades including Hannibal for NBC which won: one Clio Key Art Award, three Davey Awards, two Promax BDA Awards, and a Shorty Award.
I’ve taken on many opportunities to brand companies from Day 1 including their apps, logos, websites, and social media artwork. I’ve witnessed several of my clients go from zero into the multi-millions in revenue and love being part of the process. I continue being involved in building brand communication for the online and physical world. To engage. To intrigue. To capture and leave the impression each client desires.
Aug. 2016 – Feb. 2017 – Associate Creative Director
Worked on multiple campaigns and pitches for top tier Netflix properties including:
• Santa Clarita Diet (Starring Drew Barrymore and Timothy Olyphant)
Social Media Campaign, Website, Directing video spots to live on social channels, Influencer Kits, assisted direction at Promo Shoot. Managed motion designers, editors, graphic designers, illustrators, developers and copywriters.
• 13 Reasons Why
Came up with Key Art concepts, Social Media Campaign visual concepts and storyboards.
Dec. 2014 – Aug. 2016 – Senior Art Director / Designer
2016 Promax Global Agency Of The Year
• Zoolander 2 – Paramount – Design Lead for the international and domestic website Zoolander.com. Designed over 40 pieces of social content, some posted by Derek himself on the official Instagram account.
• Hannibal – NBC – As Design Lead, created vintage style travel posters for a Social Media Campaign. The artwork was loved by NBC and physically printed and sold in the NBC stores. The Hannibal Campaign won a Clio Key Art Award, 3 Davey Awards, 2 Promax BDA Awards and a Shorty Award.
• Trainwreck – Universal – Film – Social Media Campaign, Shorty Award winner.
• Unfriended – Universal – Film – Website, Social Media and Banner Campaign. The film and the campaign was a huge success winning a Davey Award and a Shorty Award for Social Media.
• Salem – WGN – Designed a Facebook Cover image so compelling that the network called and wanted to use the idea in a broadcast spot.
• Texas Rising – History Channel – Art Directed a video spot for the side of the Nasdaq building in NYC taking over Times Square playing on 7 large video walls at once.
• Central Intelligence – Film – Designed a Mobile/Desktop Gif Generator where users can place themselves into a scene from the movie.
Clients: Disney, Sony, NBC, Universal, Warner Bros., Hulu, Netflix, Lifetime, WGN, History.
Nov. 2013 – March 2014 – Freelance Senior Designer
• Netflix –Social Media designs for Orange Is The New Black and House Of Cards.
• UE Pro (Ultimate Ears Headphones) – Website design.
• Adobe – Vector designs for Ink & Slide Mobile App.
• Fox Searchlight – 20th Anniversary Website design.
• Bic – Conceptual Product design.
• Warner Bros. – Gravity – Film – 36×48 Poster Infographic.
Nov. 2013 – Freelance Art Director / Designer
• Holiday Banner Campaign.
Oct. 2012 – Oct. 2013 – Freelance Designer
• 14 TV Show websites. Website skinning and managed weekly design updates for shows:
The Office, Parks & Recreation, JJ Abram’s Revolution, Chicago Fire, The Michael J Fox Show, Grimm, Fashion Star, Smash, and more.
• Infographics, games, e-book covers, blogs and banner campaigns.
• Assisted with production on the new NBC Mobile App.
2012-2016 – Freelance Art Director / Designer
• Website showcasing past, present, and future business endeavors.
• CD cover art for the single Good Time featuring Lil Wayne, Cover for Come Alive and High Off My Love.
• Billboard for Coachella.
• Apparel designs.
• Deck designs.
• Directed behind the scenes video shoot.
Aug. 2012 – Freelance Designer
• Website makeover.
• Designed look books for buyers; distribution channels include
Saks Fifth Avenue, Lord & Taylor, and Nordstrom, among others.
2011-2015 – Freelance Designer
• Designed the logo, website, e-commerce, look books, banner ads, flyers resulting in brand popularity amongst trendsetters, celebrities, and top retailers worldwide.
2012 – Freelance Designer
• Website, Book, Documentary Key Art, Sales Decks for pitches.
2010 – 2012 – Creative Director/Designer
President Obama gave a speech to 35,000 people via satellite at the Georgia Dome in Atlanta. Performing live were some of the biggest names in Gospel music.
• Designed stage art backdrop, website, promotional materials, billboards, t-shirts, ads, logo, cd cover and memorabilia magazine.
• Won a Stellar Award for best event album of the year.
Aug. 2011 – Freelance Designer
• Front Cover page design and interior two page spread for Mayra Veronica.
2009-2012 – Art Director/Designer – Print – Branding
• Designed logos, websites, ads, and billboards, branding the nationally syndicated Cory Condrey Show.
2002 – 2009 – Freelance Designer
• Designed one of Akons first cd covers for the demo being shopped to labels.
• T-shirt designs, event promotional material.
2005 – 2009 – Freelance Designer
• First 4 album covers, 2 additional compilation albums.
• Posters, promo material for Big Cat /Tommy Boy Records.
2000 – 2002 – Desginer / Musical Artist
• Designed an innovative transparent cd packaging concept for High, an album produced in 2001.
• Accompanied Prince on the USA Hit N Run Tour to perform as Prince’s Opening Act with The Fonky Bald Heads.
• 2016 Billboard Magazine interview on working with The Artist.
2015 – 2016 – Social Media Campaign
• Clio Key Art Award (1) Bronze
• Davey Award (3) Silver
• Shorty Award (1) Bronze
• Promax BDA Award (1) Silver
• Promax BDA Award (1) Bronze
2015 – Social Media Campaign / Website
• Shorty Award (1) Bronze
2016 – Social Media Campaign
• Shorty Award (1) Bronze
2016 – Social Media
• Clio Key Art Award Finalist
• Davey Award (1) Gold
• Stellar Award Winner – 2011
President Obama gave a speech via satellite to over 35,000 people at the Georgia Dome in Atlanta, GA. Was Creative Director for the event. Best Event Album of the Year.
• The Everything Channel at Retail Vision – 2008
Product Design for Best New Technology
• Minneapolis Public Schools
Future Boys & Future Girls Program – 2016
Logo, Album CD Artwork, Apparel
• In A Perfect World
Logo Design, Apparel – 2016
• Jerry Clark Foundation
Youth Baseball Camp – Atlanta, GA – 2009 – 2016
• Art of Elysium
The Art of Elysium is dedicated to enriching the lives of the artists and hospital youth.
Invitations for fundraiser – Trifold brochure, Email Invitation – 2015
• Girls Talk/ Guys Talk
Designed to encourage students, 11-21, over the course of the school year, to have a stake in themselves.
Youth participate in various workshops and activities that teach about social awareness, health consciousness, healthy relationships, and positive self-esteem.
Logo & Website Design – 2014